Sunday, March 9, 2008

The grass is always greener


I made up my mind a long time ago NOT to be one of those people who is perfectly content with their life - until they see what the next person has or does. I refuse to keep up with the Jones'. If I am happy when I am home alone with MY family and MY things then that shouldn't change when I see what other people's families or things are like. Every once in awhile I do see something someone else does or has that I wish I could incorprate into my family. In these cases I choose to be inspired rather than envious. So far it's working great. If I am unhappy before I leave the house in the morning... well that's another story altogether! (Stay tuned for an upcoming blog about my New Year's resolution.) My contentedness does not correspond to anything but my sense of self. If I am happy inside, really happy, and really in tune to what will keep me that way then I am set. That's all I need to know. As my dad has told me all my life... I can do anything I put my mind to, and I'm putting my mind to loving MY life!

2 comments:

debsfreckles said...

I agree, I have to keep reminding myself about his when I look at some people's blogs and then I also remind myself that a blog could be totally fake so I can't judge by that anyway. Sometimes I get the feeling that people are trying to out-do eachother with blogs now too. I am not keeping up with the jones, I hate the jones!

Brigitte Brousset said...

Who is the Jones?
I am Jones but not THE Jones.

Anyway, i don't think anyone is completely happy with their lives, that would be a twisted reality that we aspire to get. Not everyone, but i guess the optimistic.

If you've read Proust you can know that it's from the moment where we lack of happy feelings where we learn. I'm not saying specifically sadness, or rage. It could be simple mind numbing, or a moment of realisation of monotony. It all helps to build things up.