Thursday, May 10, 2012

My Day 5.10.12

I started off by driving the big kids to school (10 minutes late I might add) only to realize that Channing had left his folder and lunch box on the counter at home:(  I decided to make the trip back right away since everyone was already in the car and buckled.  That's half the battle anyway right?  By the time that was done we had been in the car going on an hour and baby girl was not happy about it.

I fed the younger kids and then struggled for a while to get Farrah down for her morning nap... she's been a bit fussy lately.  I finally got her down and did a little bit of straightening up. Then I had to start getting Rand ready for preschool and Blythe ready for her hearing screening at the school. She's being screened for speech problems.

After dropping Rand off we would have 30 minutes to kill before the hearing test so we decided to stay and eat lunch with him at the preschool.  That went well... Farrah cried most of the time and Rand teased Blythe until she whacked him in the head several times.  Rand "accidentally" finished off Blythe's juice box for her, and she freaked out again and applesauce was spilled.  In other words - just your typical day at our house, but this time with a captive audience of 3 teachers and 15 other children:)

We left to go to the school office for the test.  Blythe did well, but Farrah was unhappy.  I ended up having to leave the room because she was too loud.  No babies allowed to cry during a hearing test... go figure!  While I am sitting in the front office, feeding Farrah little bites of Blythe's leftover lunch, a note arrives from the preschool for me.  It turns out Rand slipped on the basketball court and smacked his head hard on the concrete.  He is very upset.  The nurse has been called to come up and look at him but they would like me to come also.

I'm torn... my Rand-o needs me, but if I take off and Blythe comes out and finds me gone I know she'll be upset.  She has been having really bad separation anxiety lately.  I was actually surprised she didn't get upset when I left the room with Farrah.  She was too distracted playing a game on the nurses cell phone to notice though.

I decided that Blythe should be done any minute and I would wait for her.  She came out about two minutes later and we headed back over to the preschool.  Rand was being held by his teacher and watched over by the nurse.  He also had an ice pack on his head and all the skin scraped off of his elbow. He was pretty upset, which is unusual for him.  He usually takes injuries in stride.  I held him for awhile so he could decide if he wanted to come home now or if he was ok to stay and finish school.  He went back and forth so many times I started to get a bit annoyed:)  Ultimately he decided if he could get "that special medicine" (Neosporin) and a band aid on his elbow he would stay.

In order to do that we had to walk about 10 miles back to the nurses office.  By this time Farrah was, as we say over here, "done for the day" and screaming her head off in the stroller.  At the same time one of the other teachers brought Blythe, who had just peed her pants on the play ground, even though I'd taken her to the restroom 2x during the last 30 minutes and tried to get her to go, over asking if I had extra clothes for her.  The phrase "when it rains, it pours" my have been thrown around several times at this point:)

The nurse talked Rand into walking down with her and one of the teachers.  A kiss goodbye sealed the deal and he was left in good hands.  I headed into the classroom to find the other teacher in the bathroom wearing latex gloves and trying to clean Blythe up and changer her.  I graciously let her off the hook and took over this duty.  All the while Farrah sits in the stroller outside the bathroom door and screams hysterically.

I got Blythe all fixed up and we left the school with clean underwear and shorts minus a shirt. ( I didn't pack and extra shirt for a potty accident).  Her shoes were soaked though so I took Farrah out of the stroller and put her in.  Then I proceeded to try to maneuver through the classroom door, a swarm of small children right outside the door, and a chain link gate while holding the baby and pushing a quirky fold up stroller from Walmart!  

You know what... we made it though. In honor of the occasion I threw all caution and health to the wind and we went to Mcdonalds for French Fries and a Dr. Pepper!  I think we all deserved it.

The girls fell asleep in the car and it was less than an hour until time to pick Rand up so I drove up Madera Canyon and sipped my DP and listened to talk radio.  It was kind of nice... maybe even relaxing since I love all of those things.  I think it was about this point when I officially gave up my plans to ride my bike on the trainer sometime today.

We picked Rand up, drove home, unloaded everyone, fed them all a snack, laid Farrah down, checked the mail, and did a few more chores.

An hour later I woke up Farrah loaded everyone back into the car, picked up the big kids, came home made the boys dinner so they could go to the BMX track.  Somewhere in there Nick came home... I'm pretty sure I saw him for a second in there.  The boys left and I got the girls ready to go out to dinner with a couple friends. At this dinner with my three girls and two other grown ups... I made the shocking realization that boys cause all the problems in this family when we go out;)

We were home by 7:30 and the big girls showered while I got Farrah to bed.  Then we rented a movie and watched while we waited for the boys to get home.  After all as Ainsley pointed out, it's not fair to go to bed when they get to say up late!

They came home at 9:30 just as the movie ended.  I quickly regretted all decisions to let any children stay up past 7:30PM and Rand proceeded to have melt down because I couldn't understand what he was saying... oh wait, he was complaining that it wasn't fair that he had to go to the BMX track while the girls had dinner at a restaurant.  The kid has nerve, I'll give him that!

By this time I throw my hands in the air, after all who can please these people anyway?  We finally get everyone squared away and into bed and then Nick and I end up staying up until 12:30 instead of going right to bed like good parents who have to get up early the next morning... An act which culminated in the kids being 10 minutes late to school again this morning

Ok, so there were a few special circumstances in here, but for the most part this is what our life is like.  So the next time you hear me say that we like things a little chaotic and messy you'll know what I mean.  After all my day had the potential to be so boring when it started, and look what it turned in to!  That is why I love my little family- crazies and all, and also why I am sometimes grouchy a lot:)

The END



No comments: