Wednesday, June 6, 2012

I liked it

I recently read this article and I though I would share.  It opens like this:
"When Dan and I got married, we were 25 years old. Now, we're staring down the barrel of 40. Looking back, I'm surprised we didn't self-destruct just for the heck of it. Now that we are older, we are perhaps surprisingly also wiser. Here are the things we have learned over the years that helped us stay married and even happy for 15 years. (Beyond that, you're on your own. I can't promise another 15.) Our list does not resemble the ones you'll find in Cosmo or Ladies' Home Journal. We have never had a regular date night, nor do we prioritize "communication" or play sex games or see a therapist. He doesn't bring me flowers every Thursday and I don't cook his favorite food very often. But we do have some other ideas. "
 Maybe it's the non-sentimental side of me shining through, but I love how straight forward she is.  I think Nick and I are a little non-traditional when it comes to our relationship.  Our expectations of each other are different than a lot of couples I know, and we definitely have our own style when it comes to give and take.  In fact we tend to tease each other to show affection or ease tension, weird right? But it's who we have always been.  Maybe that's why reading about a couple that's not perfect or mushy, but is happy, and has take the time to figure out what works for them is a little refreshing.  Enjoy...

No comments: