Friday, June 8, 2012

San Juan Hill Ride 4.21.12

Another really late post... don't worry this behind the times thing is going to continue for awhile. On one of these weekends that we made a trip to Gilbert to ride, my little brother took a spin on Nick's bike.  He liked it and the riding bug bit him too.  He almost came to do Tour de Mesa with us but I though better of having him do a 70 miler for his first ride:)  After riding it in the bad weather I was glad we decided not to have him come. He also wanted to do Tour of the Tucson Mountains but it was his Prom.  He was waiting patiently for a chance to ride so one weekend when Nick was working I drove  up with his bike and we met my FIL for a short ride at South Mountain to see if Trevin really wanted to pursue riding.

We started at Don's house and rode to South Mountain and down San Juan hill.  It was a fun little ride.  I dropped a little behind the guys just in time to get a flat tire.  Here I am fixing it.  I got my wheel all set and realized that my co2 cartridge was empty!  Luckily all the other riders that passed me were very friendly and one guy let me have one of his.  Right after he left Don and Trevin rode up.    
San Juan is an out and back and after waiting for awhile they came back to check on me.  Don took over the repair and we continued on... for about a 1/4 mile and then my tire popped again!  The noise startled my brother and he looked back at me.  He made the mistake of braking without unclipping his foot and he went down!  He cut his knee a bit but I'm pretty sure only his pride was hurt.  I think it's good to get those falls out in the beginning when you have the excuse of being a new rider.  It's much embarrassing later... trust me I know;)
We also ran into my aunt near the restrooms when we stopped for water.  She was doing a run on one of the trails.  It was very random but kind of fun to run into her.  We finished up our ride (26 or 28 miles?) and Trevin decided he was still into it.  We drove home and spent the rest of the day searching craiglist for a bike:)



No comments: