Tuesday, November 6, 2007

The grapefruit syndrome

As a newlywed Sister Lola Walters read in a magazine that in order to strengthen a marriage a couple should have regular, candid sharing sessions in which they would list any mannerisms they found to be annoying.

She wrote:
"We were to name five things we found annoying, and I started off.
...I told him that I didn't like the way he ate grapefruit. He peeled it and ate it like an orange! Nobody else I knew ate grapefruit like that. Could a girl be expected to spend a lifetime, and even eternity, watching her husband eat grapefruit like an orange?"
After I finished [with my five], it was his turn to tell the things he disliked about me...[He] said, 'Well, to tell the truth, I can't think of anything I don't like about you, Honey.'"

Gasp.

"I quickly turned my back, because I didn't know how to explain the tears that had filled my eyes and were running down my face."

Sister Walters concluded:
"Whenever I hear of married couples being incompatible, I always wonder if they are suffering from what I now call the Grapefruit Syndrome"

No comments: