Thursday, May 29, 2008

Home Again


I just came home from the beach. There is something about the concept of the ocean that intrigues me. I sit on the sand and watch the waves that stretch out of sight and I am amazed to think of the sheer amount of the earth that they consume. I wonder about the purpose of this watery expanse. I go home and read about the tides and the science behind the seas. It gets pretty complex and I don't understand everything. There is something mysterious and risky about standing on the edge where the sky meets the water meets the land. I feel nervous but at the same time this scenery soothes my soul, and my belief in a greater power is confirmed. I feel small and powerless as I watch the surf surge around my ankles, but I also feel the presence of my creator. I am content and more than that, I am healed and my energy is renewed. As I drive away from the shore and back into the desert the feeling fades and I long for it as I always do when I leave its presence. Soon, however, I will acclimate to being back home and it will seem like I never left.

2 comments:

Russ and Debbie said...

The ocean is crazy isn't it. I love this picture of you - timeless

Lex said...

wow< i feel like you spoke the word out of my mouth> Beautiful picture by the way.