Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Personal History Tuesday

Well I committed to write something about myself once a week so here we go. Where to begin... well how about the beginning.

I was born at 10:35 PM (give or take a minute) on October 7, 1983 at Utah Valley Hospital in Provo, Utah. My parents had been married for approximately one year and three months and my dad was attending his final year at BYU when I was born. Here is everything I know about the circumstances surrounding my birth. My due date was October 4th which, by the way, was a Wednesday. My mom started having some sort of labor like symptoms that morning. I wasn't born until Friday the 7th. It was long and painful and her doctor was out of town. After much work I entered the world. Even though they didn't really know, they had been sure I was going to be a girl and they were right. My Grandma Brown (maternal grandmother) came to see me and says that her first impression was that my dad had brought me back from Korea (where he served his mission) with him. This means that I had jet black hair, dark eyes, and was definitely not fair like the rest of the grandchildren on both sides.

My parents were extremely poor students when I was born. When I say poor, I mean poor. One favorite anecdote of my mom's is about how my dad actually calculated how much money it cost him per hour to run the light bulb on the porch of their apartment. Then he left it off to save money until she complained about being big and pregnant and trying to go up and down the stairs at night in the dark. On the same note I have also been told that my first bed was a diaper box on the floor that my dad had rigged up for me. That lasted until Grandma Homer (paternal grandmother) decided it was too cold for me to live on the floor in a box at my tender age and my parents borrowed a basinet from my aunt.

When I was nine months old my dad got a job in Arizona and we moved to Gilbert. I guess here I should note that my mom was born and raised in Arizona. My dad grew up in Sandy, Utah. My dad's parents still live in the same house that they lived in before he was born. I stayed in Gilbert then until five years ago when Nick and I moved to Tucson.

That will be it for the first edition of "Personal History Tuesday". Pleases tune in next week for more of my story.

1 comment:

mimilee said...

i think it is essential that you mention we were friends from 2nd grade until 5th... :)