Thursday, November 8, 2012

Alien socks

There are SO many other more interesting topics I should be blogging about today.  I could write about my adventure in the Grand Canyon last month, or about my birthday, or Nick's birthday, or Halloween.

The list is long and attractive.  Instead I am going to bring up something unattractive: The socks you see pictured above.

Those are Nick's new cycling socks, for real, and totally seriously.  I will try to explain by making three points....

1. When Nick finds an article of clothing that makes him more comfy his devotion is instantaneous.
2. He  loves (and I mean loves) a good bargain.
3. Combine this product devotion with a bargain price on ebay and we have a recipe for alien/ sunburst/ racing flag cycling socks.

I thought I would be able to sway him to abandon the idea of wearing them in public by giving him a hard time.  I teased him, and bugged, him and told him how ugly the socks were.  I said that the guy who sold them on ebay was probably laughing right now at the poor sucker who actually paid money for these socks.

I should have known better.  I had momentarily forgotten who I was talking to.  If I had given even a tiny bit of thought about the way Nick's mind works I could have foreseen that my plan would backfire.  As anyone who knows him well you have probably already predicted that my arguments only strengthen his resolve to wear those ugly socks with pride.

Needless to say, he has now decided to wear the worst of the worst (aliens) at the Tour de Tucson next week.  I don't know who is more excited, him to simultaneously show off his ugly socks and irritate me, or the socks to ACTUALLY be worn for the first time.

It should be an interesting conversation piece to say the least:)  

2 comments:

Crapos said...

I don't think wearing the alien socks in the tour is nearly as bad as wearing the sun burst socks to church, which he did last week.

Crapos said...

I don't think wearing the alien socks in the tour is nearly as bad as wearing the sun burst socks to church, which he did last week.